Since the St. Francis purchased Tinsley Island in 1958, the Tinsley Toilers have worked tirelessly to curate and preserve our outstation. These generous volunteers have planted every tree, built every dock and paved every inch of sidewalk.
Upcoming Toiler Weekends
Toilers are volunteers who dedicate their skills to improving Tinsley Island. Toilers come in all varieties, and any member is welcome to join. There are about six Toiler weekends every year, and Toilers receive free food and housing in exchange for their hard work. They work on projects, contribute sweat equity, and earn bragging rights to say: “I helped build that.” Toilers are invited to come every Toiler weekend, one weekend or even just one day. Over the years, the Club has benefited tremendously from the savings on projects that would have otherwise been costly had Toilers not volunteered their time. It is because of the Toilers and Tinsley Island Benefactors that Tinsley has been able to grow and improve so much.
What’s a Toiler?
During the weekend, Toilers are provided with free launch transportation and dockage, instruction on construction, fine food and drink, and mentors for Junior Toilers. Both bunkhouses are open, complimentary to Toilers. Should you choose to stay in the Lighthouse, you can do so for a 50% discount from the regular price.
Do you want to contribute to the Island, but lack handy skills? We welcome other talents!
- Cooks: Every Toiler weekend, members serve the volunteers as Chefs. These members get to show off their culinary prowess while feeding the masses—something we know is just as difficult as swinging a hammer.
- Juniors: We always have tasks fit for kids, and Toiler Mentors on hand to teach them.
- Benefactors: If you can’t physically attend a Toiler weekend, but you’re still interested in supporting the island, we encourage you to become a Tinsley Benefactor HERE.
Typical Toiler Weekend
The toiling season consists of six weekends, beginning in March and ending in May. The exact dates change every year depending on the projects we have planned. In a typical weekend, here is what you can expect:
- Friday Evening: meet for appetizers, cocktails and dinner at Tinsley
- Saturday: get started with breakfast and then dive into a full day of toiling, with a break for lunch. After a hard day’s work, enjoy another evening of appetizers, cocktails and dinner.
- Sunday morning: breakfast and a lunch to go